Home » Posts tagged 'innovative designs'
Tag Archives: innovative designs
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 22, 2019 – CLOSED
Canada Makes is again offering its Pan-Canadian 3D Printing Design Challenge for postsecondary students enrolled in a Canadian college or university. Winners to be announced in the Spring of 2019.
Last year’s challenge was “Design solutions for a sustainable future” and is again this year. Five finalist from last year’s challenge each received $1,000 for their design. Learn more about the designs at Canada Makes announces finalists for its 3D Challenge.
The adoption of digital manufacturing technologies such as 3D printing requires new approaches to skills and training focused on building experiential and collaborative learning. To foster this objective, the Canada Makes 3D Challenge will challenge university/college teams to design a part and compete for a full one-year paid internship from a Burloak Technologies and cash prizes.
Theme: Design solutions for a sustainable future
Description: Additive manufacturing is empowering new ways to re-think design and fabrication through innovative materials, optimized structures and enhanced functionality. There is currently a drive to think about how our society is changing in the wake of population growth and sustainability concerns. Canada Makes invites student designers to participate in the 3D Design Competition with a focus on creating innovative tools or products that reduce our environmental footprint using additive manufacturing in tandem with conventional manufacturing approaches.
Such examples include (and are not limited to):
- lightweight structures or new designs of automotive or aerospace components that reduce overall weight and fuel consumption
- innovative components that optimize fuel or energy consumption
- energy harvesting devices with innovative features
- multi-purpose objects that simplify everyday life and reduce waste
- wearable tools or objects that enhance mobility efficiency and reduce waste
Phase I – Students who wish to participate must pre-register by November 30, 2018 indicating their intent to submit a final design.
Phase II – Participants will submit a design based on the provided criteria. These designs will be analyzed and evaluated via simulation with the top finalists announced, recognized and awarded their cash prize. Deadline for submissions is February 22, 2019.
Phase III – The top five finalists will have their design fabricated and tested, and will be invited to either make a live or video presentation and have a chance at more prizes including a chance at a one-year paid internship at Burloak Technologies.
The Student/Team (no more than 3 students per team) will submit the following by February 22, 2019:
- Cover sheet
- 150 word description/summary
- STL files and source files from any CAD program
- An image of the current product design (if applicable) and a detailed description of the changes
- Business case (800 word):
- Justification of the product redesign, value added as measured by reduced
- Time to produce
- Cost impact
- Energy consumption or renewable energy generation
- Reduced materials
- Promoting green design
- Participants should define the unmet need in society or explain the waste in current solutions
- Precisely what is being proposed
- Why it is am improvement over existing products
Judges will choose the top 5 finalists and Canada Makes will arrange to fabricate their designs to be showcased at a final event in the spring of 2019. The finalist/teams will receive a cash prize and a chance at a one-year paid internships at Burloak Technologies.
Submitted designs will be evaluated via simulation, and the top five designs will be selected for fabrication and testing based on the required criteria. The winning entries will best satisfy all of the performance criteria.